Friday, February 27

Speak Your Brains - Part 1

Last year we called upon our beloved bands on Southern Records to speak their brains and tell us about their experiences in 2008 and their forecast for 2009. Here is the first installment for your pleasure (in alphabetical order)...

Action Beat - Don Mclean (Lead guitar)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that...we recorded an album for Southern and played 90 shows in ten European countries with little or no money".

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009,and why? Bilge Pump Rupert The Sky. We always listen to Bilge Pump anyway, so I'm sure we will have it on sometime towards the end of next year. It's a great record.

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? Action Beat. Nah, jokes. mmm... I will have to say Don Vito from Leipzig Germany because we all really love this band. A trio of very hard working individuals, who clearly deserve to be given some kind of recognition for the amazing music they produce. We'll have a competition with them for the most shows in 2009. We're aiming for at least 180!!! They are apparently touring almost every month next year, and also heading to China!!

Where will we find you in 2009? You will find us in the UK towards the end of February, Ireland in March, throughout Europe during Spring and Summer, and you might see us in the states during September/October (if we're lucky). You could also see us at a gig if you book it! Oh, and in your studio, bar, house, kitchen, bedroom, basement, car?

Action Beat have just released their second album The Noise Band From Bletchley on Southern's imprint label Truth Cult

Asva - Stuart Dahlquist (Main man and bass guitar)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that...I voted Democrat, for Obama and wasn't ripped off, then left the mountains and became a member of the Seattle Elks Lodge and the Swedish Club... very cheap drinks and right smart old f*cks to brawl with."

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009 and why? Most likely some Barbie soundtrack because my darling daughter won't stop playing this crap.

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? Well that would be me. I just built a fence for somebody; it took a month and its f*cking cold and wet. Yes it would be Asva. I'm sick of this sh*t.

Where will we find you in 2009? Hopefully on tour a bunch and recording/releasing a new record. Some sleeping. A little eating. Making love if I'm allowed, masturbating if I'm not. Evenings rehearsing, late nights having a drink somewhere. Stumbling... Mumbling... Shuffling to the coffee pot in the AM and doing it again.

Stuart is currently working on a new Asva record. More news to follow.

Bellafea - Heather McEntire (lead vocals and guitar)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that I .........." "...was redeemed."

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009, and why? (Tie) The Curtains of Night Lost Houses - Lost Houses = the reaction after being sucker-punched by your yoga teacher

Beach House Devotion - 1) Gila is the best single of 2008; so perfect, and 2) it's like being on drugs legally and being in a cathedral at the same time, without the side effects and without the damnation.

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? (Tie) Liza Kate, The Screaming Females

Where will we find you in 2009? Bellafea will be finishing writing and recording our next album. I will be recording albums with the two other bands I'm in - Mount Moriah and Un Deux Trois - as well as working on putting out local releases on my label - Holidays For Quince Records.

Chrome Hoof - Emmett Elvin (Rhodes, organ and synth)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that I .........." .........perfected time travel. I spent most of the year in 1971 hanging out with Bruce Forsyth - what an animal he was back then!

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009, and why? Offend Maggie by Deerhoof - Forsyth smashed all my other records attempting a tango after two bottles of creme de menthe.

Where will we find you in 2009? 1892, probably. Paris is a bit of a cliche, but I want to get some new keyboard chops off Claude Debussy.

Chrome Hoof again...(there are so many of them) - Andrew Gustard (Guitar and percussion)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that...I became a dad"

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009, and why? Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today -- 'cos its so good!

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? - egg

Where will we find you in 2009? in a field

The new album is currently in a parallel universe where eggs rule the world, as soon as the egg leader has built his space/time transporter he will deliver it to planet Earth. Until then...watch this space.

Dianogah - Jason Harvey (Bass guitar)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that I .........." ...put out my favorite Dianogah record. It's not going to solve world peace, or make it onto anyone's top ten list, or sell many copies, but I'm really proud of it.

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009, and why? ObZen by Meshuggah. The song Bleed is in my top metal songs of all time.

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? We played a few shows with our old friends Pinebender this year. Those guys should be ruling the world. I don't know how fame somehow escaped them. I also would like to see the Chicago band Head Of Skulls get some recognition. Maybe an Oscar?

Where will we find you in 2009? Practicing in a coffee grinding warehouse. Right now it sounds a little too big and boomy, but hopefully when that place gets filled with bags of coffee it'll sound and smell better.

Glorytellers - Geoff Farina (Vocals, electric, steel-string, flamenco and bass guitars)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that I .........." ....finally got serious about playing harmonica

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009, and why? Ida My Fair, My Dark

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? Norman Blake

Where will we find you in 2009? On tour for the new Glorytellers record I hope!

As mentioned Geoff is working on a new Glorytellers record. Keep your ears to the ground and look out for more news on our website.

The Owl Service - Steve Collins (Vocals, guitar, acoustic electric, bass guitars and sitar and just about everything else)

2008 was the year that I... Released an album to critical acclaim on a respected independent label with a rich history... shared a stage with a psych-folk legend and accompanied her on one of my favourite songs of all time... sung The Landlord's Daughter in front of an audience twice, once in a 14th century castle - it's been a year for achieving dreams.

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009, and why? Chinese Democracy - initially I avoided it, then I had a quick listen just to gloat at the train-wreck like everybody else, but something kept bringing me back to play it again and again and now I can't stop listening to it. I take my hat off to Axl Rose for actually delivering a truly momentous rock album against all odds. Sonically it's an amazing achievement - I love the way every section of each song has its own sound, it'll take me until the end of 2009 to fully get my head around it. It sounds like the guy has poured his heart and soul into every note and for that I applaud him. The first four tracks are particularly incredible - Better is as good as anything they've ever done.

Which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? Can I say Nancy Wallace? I'm releasing her debut solo album Old Stories on my own Midwich Records label in January - it's a sublime collection of songs sung by one of the best folk voices in the country. Nancy has been performing regularly in London for the past five years as a solo artist and also with The Memory Band and The Owl Service, and that's earned her a strong reputation and an ever-growing fanbase but it still feels like she's the London folk scene's best kept secret. For me, you can keep your Rusbys and Carthys - Nancy is as good is it gets and if there's any justice, 2009 will be the year that the rest of the music-loving world discovers her talent.

Where will we find you in 2009? Beside the seaside - I'll be hibernating at home in Leigh-on-Sea for at least the first four months of 2009 working on the second Owl Service album, "The Pattern Beneath The Plough". We have a few tracks in the bag so far; a dark, heavy version of "The Red Barn" and an epic folk-rock take on "The Banks Of The Nile", but I really need to get my backside in gear if it's going to be the sprawling, mammoth twenty track folk-opus I want it to be. Once that's done you'll find me driving the length and breadth of the country taking the Merrie Owl Service Touring Circus out on the road once again.

Last but by no means least Trencher - Liam Sparkes (Badass drummer)

Complete this sentence: "2008 was the year that...I embraced long-johns"

What album from 2008 will you still be listening to at the end of 2009 and why? -- Kings Of Leon new album.

and which artist do you most want to see get the recognition they deserve in 2009? ---- An Albatross

Where will we find you in 2009? Slumped in a bar , flicking soggy toilet paper at bar staff and myself.

At some point in the future there will be a Trencher remix album and fingers (and toes) crossed, a new album too. Whenever you are ready with that estimated date of arrival Liam...

A huge thanks to all of our bands for taking part in this installment, look out for the second feature soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment